A one of a kind neighborhood.
In the early 1920’s, the property remaining in the family was owned by Lucinda (Lucy) Depp and Robert Goode. Mr. Goode dreamed of establishing a subdivision for black citizens of Columbus who wished to build homes and cottages in order to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the area. The name Lucy Depp Park was given to the development in order to finalize Goode’s buyout of Lucinda’s acreage. In 1928, Lucy Depp Park was plotted; 102 acres divided into 720 lots. Some lots were offered for as little as $50, which is around $750 in today’s money.
It has been said that Lucy Depp Park was one of the first Black Settlements in the United States. Likewise, Lucy Depp Park was one of the earliest housing subdivisions where African Americans could buy land during the Civil Rights era. One story from an original homeowner in LDP was that they tried to buy land in Columbus, Gahanna, Westerville and two other places in Central Ohio. Lucy Depp Park was the only place where they were permitted to purchase due to racial exclusive housing policies.
This is the original plat map of Lucy Depp Park.
Here’s an article from Columbus Challenger newspaper (May 22, 1965)
On Labor Day, September 7, 2015, an Ohio Historical Marker recognizing the Depp Settlementand Lucy Depp Park was dedicated at the corner of Harriott Road and Frabell Drive.
Lucy Depp Civic Association President Theresa Dearing and Winford Dearing read the Proclamation from the Ohio History Connection designating the Depp Settlement and Lucy Depp Park as a historical site.